Doctor of Business Administration
Complete a DBA in a part-time program at the University of Gloucestershire in England
- The DBA was originally developed by Harvard University to recognize the research and knowledge needs of business management practitioners.
- The DBA program corresponds to a conventional PhD program; however it focuses on the application of business theory in practice, policy or strategy within the context of the individual's workplace or another professional practice. The DBA is strongly anchored in the world of business.
- The DBA program provides seasoned practitioners and working professionals the opportunity to go to the next level in their academic and career progression. Designed to be both time and cost efficient, this DBA offers a high quality, rigorous program for entrepreneurs, consultants, and business people.
- Academic title: The title Doctor in Business Administration is a regular officially recognized title and should be used as Dr. in front of the name.
Northeastern University introduced the first DBA degree into American graduate business education in 1957, and the DBA started in the UK in the early 1990s. Since this time, there has been a considerable growth in the number and range of programs. The degree has proliferated widely to Europe, Asia and Australia. At its most basic, the DBA is defined as a terminal degree that allows qualified practitioners the chance to obtain a doctoral diploma equivalent to a PhD.
The US Department of Education and the National Science Foundation recognize the DBA as equivalent to the PhD. In the United Kingdom, the Economic and Social Research Council recognizes PhD and DBA programs equally at approved institutions. The Association of Business Schools (ABS) unequivocally states, “The DBA is a doctoral program equal in status and rigor to all other doctorates.” The DBA degree is issued by the University of Gloucestershire in Cheltenham, United Kingdom.
You will enhance your abilities to:
- Create, interpret and apply knowledge through original research or other advanced scholarships within the field of management. The quality must satisfy peer review, extend the forefront of the discipline and merit publication;
- Acquire and demonstrate understanding of a substantial body of knowledge at the forefront of current management theory and practice;
- Conceptualize, design and implement substantial research project to generate new knowledge, apply advanced management knowledge, and adjust the research design in the light of unforeseen problems;
- Develop understanding of, and insight into, suitable techniques for research inside organizations, as well as into advanced academic enquiry.
University of Gloucestershire Business School (UGBS), The Park, Cheltenham, GL50 2RH, UK
The business school is a member of the Association of Business Schools (ABS), the authoritative voice for all the leading business schools of UK universities, and of the European Foundation for Management Development. It started workplace education in 1834 and post-graduate awards in 1947. The Business School occupies a 25-acre (10-hectare) campus - one of the most beautiful college sites in the country - on the edge of Cheltenham's centre. Further information on lecturers, campus, etc. at the University of Gloucestershire website.
Cheltenham is situated about 95 miles (150 km) northwest of London and 50 miles (80 km) south of Birmingham. It is a short walk to shops, clubs, restaurants and other facilities, a town of 100'000 inhabitants. Cheltenham is a thriving commercial hub and major cultural centre. Called the 'world capital of festivals' by The Times newspaper, it is a lively, active place as well as the gateway to the Cotswolds. Find out more on activities, events and cultural offer of Cheltenham at Visit Cheltenham.
Facts and Figures
||Doctor in Business Administration
University of Gloucestershire Business School
- Bachelor degree from an accredited university or university of applied sciences
- Plus an Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA) or Consecutive Master degree in Business Administration (MBA) from an accredited university or university of applied sciences
- Alternatively: EMBA, MA or MSc in an allied business subject area (Economics, Accounting, etc.)
- At least 3-4 years professional practice on middle management level, or ability to demonstrate professional competence of a high standard in the relevant research area
- English Certificate (if English is not first language)
- On CEFR level C1 which is equivalent to IELTS 6.5, TOEFL (paper based test 600, computer based test 250, internet based test 100), Cambridge CAE Certificate in Advanced English or the Cambridge BEC Higher Business English Certificate + adequate working experience in English
- Interview with a representative from the International Management Institute, Kalaidos University of Applied Sciences
- Quality / level of Master Thesis
- Quality / level of Research Proposal
Please contact Dr. Ella Roininen for individual assessment of your situation and for an interview.
||Spring and Autumn Semester
The DBA offers a structured route to doctoral level achievement:
The initial modular element (18 months)
- emphasizes management philosophy and critique, methodology and methods, action and participation issues in research; at conclusion of this phase, you will present your research plan, supported by a literature view
- is supported by staff working with you directly on the modules, and also by a research support panel (three or four members of staff and small number of fellow participants, to help you develop your research ideas and assist in the creation of your research plan)
The research phase (18 months minimum period)
- once your research plan is approved, you begin the research phase
- this requires you to complete an extended research program
- your research focuses on a topic of importance to both you and your organization
- during this period you may work with two supervisors or continue to be supervised by your research support panel
- at the conclusion you submit your thesis and present and defend it in a viva voce
Kalaidos offers the following services to DBA students:
Consultation and support in preparing the application
Continuing support during your study by Kalaidos Program Director
Quarterly Research Colloquiums and networking with your fellow DBA candidates
Discount on research software purchased by Kalaidos
Use of Kalaidos e-Library
Possibility to publish outstanding dissertations in cooperation with Kalaidos publishing agent
Individual instruction on research methods, on developing a research proposal, research design, English writing and editing etc.
Supervision by Kalaidos faculty
Please contact us for the service fees.
Enrolment and Start dates